This week, as we mark the journey of the Magi to Bethlehem, you are invited to bless your home. It is an invitation for Christ to be a daily guest wherever we live, in our comings and our goings, our moments of joy, sorrow, pain, rest, work and play.
One way of doing this is to use chalk and write this above your home’s entryway.
Chalking the door is a way to celebrate and physically mark the occasion of the Epiphany and God’s blessing of our lives and home. With time the chalk will fade. It is a reminder to let the meaning of the written symbols sink into the depths of our heart and be manifest in our words and actions.
20 + C + M + B + 21
The letters C, M, B have two meanings:
- They are the initials of the names of the Magi: Caspar, Melchior, and Balthazer
- They also abbreviate the Latin words, Christus Mansionem benedicat, May Christ bless this house.
The + represents the cross and 2021 is the year.
May this new year be one of hope, joy and comfort.
Blessing your home.
- Light a candle. The light reminds us that Jesus is the eternal light, wherever we live or stay.
- Using the chalk write 20 + C + M + B + 21 on the lintel of your front door (or next to it). You might like to say this: The Magi (wise people) followed the star of God’s Son who became human over two thousand years ago. May Christ bless our home and remain with us throughout the new year. Amen.
- Offer the following prayer: God, visit this home with the gladness of your presence. Bless all who live or visit here with the gift of your love; and grant that we may manifest your love to each other and anyone we encounter. May we grow in grace and strengthen us in peace, O Jesus Christ, now and for ever. Amen.