Churches Together in Broomhill and Broomhall (CTBB), of which St Mark’s is a member, employs Claire Brooks part time to work part time with older people in the area, regardless of their religious or ethnic background.
Claire works Tuesday , Wednesday and Friday full days and Thursday morning and can be contacted by telephone on 07765 553216 or by email email@example.com .
Please leave a voicemail message or send an email and she will get back to you as soon as possible.
I joined CTBB in April 2016. Prior to starting this community post, I worked in social services for over 30 years, mainly in older people’s services, but also in a mental health team and a learning disability team. I also work part time for the Alzheimer’s Society.
My career background has helped me gain the necessary experience I need to offer relevant support to older people in the community, and it is a job I love doing.
One of my main aims is to assist people who are lonely and isolated; to help them maintain or increase their social links by helping them to attend, for example, social and lunch clubs, church coffee morning, church services and social gatherings.
So far I have individual support to people in the following areas :-
- Benefit advice and assisting in claims
- Help to get to lunch clubs and other social events
- Advising on provision of home care and other council services
- Helping with transport issues
- Getting to medical and dental appointments
- Visiting in hospital, rehabilitation beds and residential/nursing homes
- Advising and assisting to find a suitable care home
- Help to move into a care home or to move home
- Support after bereavement
- Acting as an advocate for those with no family support
- Getting to the bank and shopping
- Referring for equipment and liaising with occupational therapy
- Working with all 3 churches to ensure people are able to attend services and receive pastoral care
- And most importantly, offering supportive and compassionate friendship when it is most needed.
Over the next few months from 1st September 2017, CTBB will be working towards getting volunteers to be part of our team, and act as befrienders to offer regular visits to those people who want it. There had been a definite need for regular visits identified since I started in the post.
I am linked closely with the 3 churches of CTBB and Broomgrove Nursing home. I regularly attend St Mark’s lunch/friendship club and the Beacon Church coffee morning, so I am readily available to meet and offer advice.